Jaxons Obituary

May 14th, 1986 - January 21st, 2005 Jaxon Kent Logan - 5/14/86 – 1/21/05
AFKA - Also Fondly Known As "Action Jaxon"

Jaxon Kent Logan was born at the Valley Hospital in Palmer, Alaska on May 14 1986 to Michael and Darcy Logan. He is the youngest of four(4) children. Darcy remembers being pregnant with Jaxon as being the most involved with morning sickness of all her pregnancies. She was sick from the beginning until just before he was born. Jaxon’s oldest sibling is his big brother Dustin Michael. Next comes his sister Cortney Jo followed by his sister Chauri Michelle. Jacson was a “pet” name Mike used for all the children when Darcy was pregnant. Once they were born they were given the name best fitted to their spirit. Jaxon was the last and kept the name – because it fit and was right. The spelling was changed to include an "x" instead of "cs" because people were pronouncing it Jason instead of Jaxon.


Jaxon’s formal education started in Joy School. He graduated with honors on June 2, 1991 receiving his pre-school diploma. Many of his Joy schoolmates went with him throughout his school experiences.

Jaxon attended Swanson Elementary school, moved on to Sherrod Elementary and finished up his pre-high school days at Palmer Junior Middle School.

Jaxon graduated from Palmer High School in May 2004, where he was awarded a scholarship from the teachers.

Jaxon was registered as a Freshman at Brigham Young University in the school of Business. His plan was to go on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and upon his return join the Air Force and learn to fly. He had taken ground school while he was in high school.



Jaxon started to wrestle in the 7th grade. After a year on the mat he was able to do well his 8th grade year and at the State tourney in Fairbanks he took 2nd in the 100 pound weight class. He continued to wrestle in high school through his Junior year but because seasons overlapped he chose hockey over wrestling his senior year.


Jaxon’s hockey career started when he would skate around the family backyard rink pushing a chair so he wouldn’t fall down. He was at the ripe old age of five(5). It was a life long love affair and one that brought him growth, enjoyment and satisfaction.

Jaxon officially started playing on a Mat-Su Amateur Hockey Association (MAHA) team at about seven(7) years old. He played on some hockey team every year to the present time. He played on the Palmer High School Hockey Team and earned his letter all four(4) years. Going on to college he tried out for the Provo Ice Cats, a club team that represents BYU in the college hockey arena, and landed a spot on the “Taxi” squad. That is the lowest of the low but he made the team. From there with hard work and dedication, in the last games he was playing on the third (3rd) line and the special teams on the penalty kill. His coach remarked that Jaxon was playing the best game of his Ice Cat career last Friday night against the Colorado team. He was steadily improving.

Mike and Darcy, accompanied by his sister Cortney and her two boys, Blaze and Cole, were able to watch Jaxon play two weeks ago at a game in San Jose, California. After the game Jaxon, full of excitement and enthusiasm, called, his big brother Dustin and told him that during the game he used moves he didn’t even know he knew.

Jaxon combined his wrestling with his hockey when Tamio, the IceCat goalie took occasion to haze Jax. Even though Tamio was almost twice as large and a physical specimen of strength, Jaxon took him down, pinned him and held him helpless three times in a row. It caused the team to recognize Jaxon as an equal in ways that only physical prowess could.


Jaxon was greatly involved in music. He loved to sing. He sang with Mr. Harris starting about the 6th grade in Palmer Junior Middle School. He forced Mr. Harris to follow him to the High School where he sang in choirs most especially in the Jazz Choir. His Jazz choir was rated for a Command Performance in the State Solo and Ensemble Festival his Junior and Senior years. He sang with the Fishhook gang, those guys from up and down Fishhook road, for many events and on many occasions in church and school throughout the years. Dustin said he was still working on music by listening to his ipod at all times while at school, walking, skating or just hanging.


Jaxon loved the out of doors. He loved fishing, hunting, riding his SNO PRO, snow boarding, 4 wheeling, riding dirt bikes and Scouting.


Jaxon started slaying the salmon at Jim Creek when he was two(2) years old. His dad would put him in the front of the pickup, park sideways on the creek and Jaxon would fish out of the cab window. He would get a fish-on and Mike would just hold the rod and Jaxon would bring in the fish. When chastised for bringing his child out to fish at such early hours in the morning Mike just answered by asking the question "Well, what is your limit? Mine is six". In our family he was renown for his fishing prowess. When ever relatives or friends were visiting we would send them out with Jaxon to be sure they would have success.

Jaxon often went after the Caribou and was successful at bringing home the meat. I think it was just being out on the 4-wheeler as much as the hunting that sparked his desire.


Jaxon was a powerhouse when it came to things that he wanted to do. He spent hours building a "kicker" to jump his snow machine. He had to build the jump and a place to land. After at least seven (7) hours he tried it out. There is a picture proving the success of this venture – Jaxon about 30 feet up in the air on his SnoPro. His mother made the comment that he worked hard at what he wanted but don’t look for him when it came time to wash the dishes.


Jaxon started as a Cub Scout receiving all his rank advancements up to and including the Arrow of Light. He then kept on working through the ranks of Boy Scouting until he achieved the rank of Eagle Scout just prior to his 18th birthday. That is the highest award a young man can earn as a Youth in the Boy Scouts of America. I was Jaxons Scout Master and Scout leader his whole Scouting career and I looked at Jaxon through different eyes. I knew him as a Scout Leader and as a father. As a Scout Leader I observed “Action Jaxon” demonstrate the principles of Scouting, the Scout Oath and Law, at home, church, school and in his daily life.

When I took “my boys” out to Jim Creek to run their 4-wheelers and dirt bikes I observed their total enjoyment of life. All in all I think Jaxon just loved being outdoors doing what people do outdoors – Camping, fishing, hunting, romping and playing. Just being out there.


Jaxon started “Doing the Dogs”, helping Chauri when he was about 7 or 8. This job consisted of feeding, watering and cleaning up after sled dogs belonging to a local musher. He took over the full job of caring for about 21 sled dogs, when the owners were out of town, at about age 13. He took care of the dogs until he graduated from high school. When he was a sophomore in high school he started working in the landscaping industry. He worked with Jake and Ken Fennell for a couple of years and then after graduation from high school he went to work for Valley Rental Center.

Jaxons Final Game

The most courageous play you will ever see in a hockey game is a defender diving in front of an opposing player's slapshot to prevent that puck from getting near his team's goal mouth. In the professional leagues, the hard, dense projectile has been clocked at speeds over 100 miles an hour.

Acknowledging this, however, does not make what happened at Provo’s Peaks ice arena--a 2002 winter Olympics venue and home of BYU's IceCats--any easier to accept.

At the end of the second period with the IceCats comfortably in the lead, BYU freshman, Jaxon Logan of Palmer, Alaska, went down to block a shot. The shot hit him in the chest and, it is now known, immediately stopped his heart. He was able to get up and skate over to the players' bench, only to collapse when he got there.

Jaxon suffered Commotio Cordis – which is arrhythmia, or sudden death from low-impact, blunt trauma to the chest.

The following was posted at the BYU hockey website:

Jaxon Logan 5/14/86-1/21/05
Jaxon Logan, our teammate, friend, and brother passed away Friday night. While blocking a slap shot, Jaxon was struck in the chest by the puck which led to cardiac arrest and ultimately his death. Jaxon was a great man, talented athlete, and fierce competitor.

A memorial service was held at the LDS church on 85 south 900 East, Provo, Utah Monday @ 6 pm. Hundreds attended.

Jaxon’s dad, Mike, sent a message to be used to open the Regional III Hockey Tournament, which is dedicated to Jaxon, which reads as follows:

A Fathers message to all those who knew Jaxon or just love the game he was playing when his Father in Heaven took him home. Jaxon played the game of hockey like he lived his life, with gusto. Jaxon was a complete Kid. He loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting, riding his SNO PRO, snow boarding, 4 wheeling, listening to music and singing. He was a great friend not only to his family but to all who got to know him. Jaxon was an Eagle Scout and served as a leader in his church. He was worthy and prepared to receive a mission call somewhere in the world for two years in service of his Lord Jesus Christ. In the moment Jaxon was Called home he was playing on special teams on the penalty kill. He was giving 115% as he dove in front of a puck shot from the blue line by the opposing teams defense man. Jaxons perfect blocked shot allowed his teammates to intercept the puck and score a goal, Jaxons last assist on this earth. He died doing one of the things he loved most and will be missed by many. Our prayers are with the young man who shot the puck, he was doing his job just as Jaxon. We want all to know it was not the game of hockey who took Jaxon, it was his Father in Heaven. Jaxon is now serving his Mission in Heaven. Thank you for all your support, love and prayers. Players remember when your feet hit the ice only a 115% effort is enough, never quit until you hit the bench.

Jaxon wasn’t a perfect kid. He had challenges to overcome, just like all of us. He understood the principle of repentance and he allowed the Atonement to be effective in his life.

When Jaxon prayed, he addressed his Heavenly Father in a tender way and there was no doubt that Jaxon knew who He was and that he loved Him.

Jaxon’s mother, Darcy, kept a scrapbook during his life. The last page, to date, of that scrapbook is a homemade card given to Jaxon from his mom and dad at graduation. It reads: “Jaxon, Last day of seminary, last day of school, last school lunch….last child! Thanks for 18 wonderful years. The last day….before a wonderful new beginning. We love you! Love Dad and Mom

So ends the mortal probation of Jaxon Kent Logan. He is now about his Heavenly Fathers business.

I so testify,
Richard Bowman

Memorial Fund

In response to the many inquiries regarding donations, a Memorial Fund has been set-up. Donations may be sent to:

IceCat Hockey, Jaxon Logan
Memorial Fund c/o Robert Clarke
431 Idaho Avenue
Provo, Utah 84606


Made by Dreamtime